Have your wheels ready when you touch down in Lamezia
Calabria, perhaps best described location-wise as the toe to Italy’s boot shape, is a fantastic region for holidaymakers - and Lamezia, or Lamezia Terme, is a gateway to it. A car hire from Lamezia can take you far beyond the urban centre, to the region of Calabria and beyond. The city was formed in 1968 after the unification of three Calabrian towns and has a rich and varied architectural and historical heritage. The group of ruins known collectively as “The Castle” and the Bastion of Malta watchtower are fascinating heritage spots to visit, and it’s not far from the Lamezia to the beautiful coast.
Tracking down the perfect car hire for your Italian road trip is an easy task when you leave the bulk of the work to Airport Rentals. Rather than spending your valuable time poring over many different sites, see a range of options all grouped together on one page. Just enter your dates and details into our simple search engine and be presented with a list of what’s available from varied suppliers, both local and international.
Narrow the many results down using handy filters so you can compare the rentals and choose the one that fits your requirements, whether that’s a particular type of transmission or a certain size. Then, lock it in on our secure booking engine, and you’re ready to roll. The friendly team is on the phones 24/7, available to answer any of your questions.
Lamezia Airport (SUF)
Officially Lamezia Terme International Airport, the airport near Lamezia is the main travel hub for the Calabria region. It offers flights to and from domestic destinations and cities all around Europe, many of them seasonal to cater to sunseekers. The modern terminal building houses restaurants and shops, all the necessary facilities for passenger comfort, and car rental counters in the Arrivals hall. Free WiFi is available.
Guide to driving a rental car in Lamezia
Getting from the airport to central Lamezia
It’s a trip of around ten kilometres and fifteen minutes between Lamezia Terme Airport and the city. You’ll come across a sizeable roundabout upon departing the terminal - take the E848/SS280 and continue until you can exit right to get on the Via Martiri delle Foibe/SS109, following the signs for Lamezia Terme. This road should take you right into the heart of the city!
Italy car hire driving tips
● Italy has many toll roads - in fact, most of the major highways are tolled, and require taking a ticket when you enter and paying it as you exit so that you are charged according to the distance travelled.
● Italy’s highway network includes autostrade, prefixed with an “A”, state highways, prefixed with an “SS”, regional roads prefixed with “SR” and provincial roads prefixed with “PS”.
● There are many scenic highways and byways in gorgeous Italy - but with scenery often comes winding, mountainous roads. Go slowly, brake smoothly and always pull over to admire the view.
● The top speed limit for Italian highways is 130 kilometres per hour, but there are some limits set at 110km/h. Local roads are limited to 90km/h, and urban areas to 50km/h.
● The blood alcohol concentration limit for drivers in Italy is quite low at 0.05%.
Parking at the airport and around Lamezia
The parking lot near the terminal offers parking at a rate of €2 for 2 hours, €3 for up to six hours, €6.50 for twelve hours and €10 for 24 hours. Daily rates after this are a little lower, with a charge of €29 for five days and €35 for a week. There is another express lot with slightly higher hourly rates.
Parking is not too difficult to find in Lamezia Terme, spread as it is over three former town centres. Be prepared to pay a few euros in the busiest parts of the city and near public transport facilities.