At the mouth of the Persian Gulf, the country of Oman sits waiting, eager for tourists ready to venture through its deserts, mountains, and incredible coastline. Oman is a land full of history, heritage and culture, woven together with tales and legends. An Oman airport rental car is the perfect way to explore.
From historian to holidaymaker, Oman has something for everyone. Those who rent a car in Oman truly get to explore the great sights and culture this country has to offer. A beautiful blend of modern Arabia and ancient port days, Oman is easy to get around and may quickly become your favourite destination.
AirportRentals.com – take the hassle out of car rental in Oman
Simply enter a few basic pieces of information into our powerful search engine, and view the list of vehicles available to you. Whether you’re after a 4-wheel drive or a mini-van to accommodate your family, our filters make it easy to narrow down exactly the kind of rental car you’re after, so you can compare the best deals across multiple websites.
Airport rentals in Oman
Oman’s capital city of Muscat is the ideal place to begin any Arabian adventure. Situated on the shores of the Gulf of Oman, Muscat’s historic ports and stunning Islamic architecture will make exploring this city a dream.
Tucked away in the south-eastern corner of Oman is Salalah. While the city gets annual monsoons from mid-June to late-August, don’t let that put you off. During this time each year, Salalah is home to the internationally renowned Tourism Festival. Enjoy stalls, restaurants and fairs along the lush coastline, or learn all about the 12th century frankincense trade at the Museum of the Frankincense Land.
Car rental suppliers in Oman
While Oman is smaller in population compared to some of its Middle Eastern neighbours, it is not short on car hire options. Oman offers both well known brands and local suppliers. Please take note that while the driving age is 18, car rental suppliers such as Avis, Thrifty and Interrent set the minimum age requirement for hiring a car at 21, with a daily surcharge if you‘re under 25. Sixt and Budget car rentals require the same, with an additional surcharge if you are over the age of 65.
Oman Road Rules
Recent changes have been made to Oman’s driving rules. Hefty fines and even jail time are issued to those who don’t comply. Make sure you read up about all the road rules before venturing out and take note of the key regulations below:
● Oman drives on the right side of the road, with overtaking on the left only.
● It is mandatory to wear a seatbelt at all times
● The speed limit in the cities is 40km/h, and 120km/h on the highways.
● The legal driving age in Oman is 18, and when renting a car in Oman you must be at least 21. The driver must also have had their license for 1 year prior to renting the car.
● The permitted blood alcohol level is 0%. Always make sure you adhere to this, and select a designated driver.
● At intersections where the traffic is not controlled, vehicles that enter the intersection or those coming from a main road have the right of way.
Oman Driving Tips
A few handy tips to help you drive safely through this desert nation.
● Always drive with your valid driver’s license, and make sure any phone calls are taken by the passengers and not the driver.
● If a car flashes their lights at you, it often means that they are requesting you to let them pass.
● Be aware that parking in some areas is prohibited. When in doubt, see what other cars have done and follow suit.
● Distances in Oman are long, and it is in these stretches of road that drivers often crash. Always stay alert and be aware of other drivers.
● Know where you’re going – because the distances are so vast, one wrong turn could waste a lot of time. Always have a physical map with you, and don’t be afraid to ask for directions.
Ready to go? Get ready for a unique and varied adventure in Oman!
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!