South African holidaymakers, you might be missing a fantastic destination right on your own doorstep! Port Elizabeth
on the Indian Ocean coast is also known as the Friendly City, and it is waiting to welcome you. Hire a car and hit the road
in PE for a fantastic trip. Your own set of wheels will mean you have the freedom to craft your own itinerary and see as much of this wonderful city as possible.
Fun in Port Elizabeth, a beach paradise
As a seaport, coastal Port Elizabeth has plenty of access to the ocean - and is blessed with sandy, clean beaches which are great for swimming and also breaks which attract surfers by the dozen. There are many historical attractions and areas of malaria-free wildlife in the vicinity of the urban area, which are ideal for those who love the outdoors.
The climate is another check on the list of Port Elizabeth’s advantages. The city boasts year-round moderate temperatures, offering a great quality of life and a wonderful visit for tourists during any season. Despite frequent breezes which have led to an additional nickname - “Windy City” - it has been voted as one of the most pleasant climates in the world.
Here are a few things you shouldn’t miss:
- Donkin Reserve is a hilltop park with a lighthouse offering views over the ocean and city, and a memorial to Elizabeth Donkin. The heritage trail is a great way to get in a bit of exercise and learn about Port Elizabeth’s history.
- Cape Recife Nature Reserve is on the headland which protects Port Elizabeth to the south, a 20-minute drive from downtown. There is a 9km walking trail which visits unspoilt beaches and the reserve is renowned for great birdwatching.
- Museums in the city include the South Africa Airforce Museum, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum, and the oldest Settler cottage in PE. A rental car means you can get around and see whatever you fancy.
- A car allows you to get out of the city to one of the nearby game reserves for a safari. Within driving distance are Kariega Game Reserve, Shamwari Game Reserve, Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa and several more.
- The nearby Addo Elephant National Park is a great place to get close to the magnificent creatures.
- The Port has some of South Africa’s best beaches. Six swimming beaches stretch between Bluewater Bay north of the Swartkops River along the city’s coast and around the point to Sardinia Bay, and you can take your pick. The more untouched sands require a bit of a drive, but it is worth it for those who like to avoid the crowds!
Car Hire in Port Elizabeth
To begin your fabulous Port Elizabeth getaway, you will need a car. Airport Rentals
are the only choice, whether you fly in and pick up at the airport or arrive by train and get your rental in the city centre. Choose ‘airport pick-up’ or ‘city pick-up’, then search the database to take advantage of a huge range of vehicles available from numerous rental companies, big and small.
It’s simple to find the right Port Elizabeth car rental on the Airport Rentals site. You can see all the details, pictures and reviews for each car and compare them without spending hours scouring the internet. Additionally, it is easy to narrow the field with filters which mean you can reduce the list by transmission type, vehicle size and more.
Explore South Africa on a road trip
Port Elizabeth is also well-placed as a starting point for longer road trips. It is midway between Durban
and Cape Town
, both accessible with a day or two of picturesque coastal driving. The Western Cape wine region is an ideal place to visit, and in the far north is the Kruger National Park
where you can begin an intrepid self-drive safari. The options are endless… just hit the highways and enjoy the freedom of a car hire from Port Elizabeth.