Get swept away by a city where east meets west in Istanbul, a Turkish gem oozing with history and beautiful people. Hire a cheap rental car from Istanbul Ataturk Airport to experience it all.
Spend hours walking through colourful, bustling bazaars as Turkish spices fill the air in the Grand Bazaar. Hang out in Old Town, a registered UNESCO World Heritage Site, visiting grand mosques, ancient architecture and palaces built for kings. Dine on mouthwatering kabobs, fresh seafood or try a mix of small dishes when you order mezes.
Booking an Istanbul rental car with Airport Rentals
Car hire is easy and affordable with Airport Rentals. Book a cheap rental car from Istanbul Airport in five simple steps:
1. Enter your travel dates and pick-up/drop off points, then click ‘search’.
2. Sit back as top deals from a wide selection of rental car companies appear with added benefits such as unlimited mileage.
3. Choose from a plethora of car types such as petrol-friendly compacts or comfortable SUVs.
4. Narrow your search using the handy filters to find the right fit for your holiday.
5. Complete your booking on our secure site with instant confirmation and a 24-hour customer service team available should you need it.
Istanbul Ataturk Airport (IST)
Land at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, the international hub and busiest airport in Turkey serving over 60 million passengers each year. The two terminals host a large range of shopping, including duty-free and boutique shops, plus numerous dining options and on-site accommodation. Visitors will have access to tourist information, a prayer room, currency exchange kiosks, and complimentary WiFi for up to 120 minutes.
When you’re ready to pick up your rental car, head to the arrivals hall near baggage claim to locate your designated car hire kiosk. Picking up your rental in downtown Istanbul? You can flag down a taxi, hop on the Metro train, take a bus or even a Seabus to get to the metropolis.
Guide to driving in Istanbul
Use our guide on driving tips, directions and parking to get around in Istanbul.
Driving from the airport to downtown Istanbul
The drive from Istanbul Ataturk Airport to the city takes around 30 minutes in normal traffic conditions. Exit the airport and get onto the D100/E5 towards Bakirkoy/Aksaray/Ankara. Continue on the highway until exiting toward Ayvansaray Cd. Continue on this road along the water until taking a right onto Ankara Cd. which will bring you into the heart of the city.
Driving tips for your Istanbul rental car
Hire a GPS to navigate around this sprawling city. Watch out for pedestrians, cyclists and motorbikes zipping through lanes, and if possible, avoid driving during peak traffic hours.
Turkey driving tips
● Drive on the right-hand side of the road and always wear your seatbelt.
● Slow down in the city, pedestrians frequently step out in front of moving traffic.
● Stick to driving in the daylight when passing through the curvy mountain roads and coastal routes.
● Police traffic stops are frequent, make sure to carry your identification at all times.
● Check with your rental car provider to purchase an E-Z pass for tollways.
For more tips and rules of the road, check out the Turkey rental car page.
Parking options at the airport and downtown Istanbul
The parking options at the Istanbul Ataturk Airport are unlimited. Choose from multi-story parks, open air parks and valet service, all located within walking distance to the terminals. Pay 10 TL for an hour in the open lot or 13 TL in the closed lot. The daily rates are 28 TL and 42 TL respectively.
Parking within city limits can be difficult, look for “Otopark” signs, which means “Parking” in Turkish. As a better alternative, park outside the city in car parks and hop on a tram or bus to head to the old city. Some hotels offer parking; make sure to enquire before booking your accommodation.
Insider tip: Park across from the ferry terminal in Eminonu for quick access to the city.
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!