Guadeloupe is a collection of islands in the Caribbean and an overseas region of France. There are two main islands you can explore in a rental car, Basse-Terre and Grande-Terre.
The country is an island getaway, but not your typical tropical escape, so you’ll get all the paradisiacal beaches, warm waters and palm trees of the Caribbean, without the flocks of tourists you would find on more well-known islands.
For beach lovers, there are few places as picturesque as the Baie De Pompierre, a horse-shoe shaped bay that’s protected by a reef and occasionally visited by the local tame goats. The Guadeloupe National Park is another top spot, and is especially attractive for hikers who are keen to explore its forests, waterfalls, and La Soufriere volcano.
The Memorial ACTe museum of the slave trade is a must-visit, as it shares some of the unbelievable history of Guadeloupe and the immense effect the trade had on the region’s culture and local population.
Make the most of your car hire and get to know all there is to know about Guadeloupe.
See it all with a cheap Guadeloupe car hire with AirportRentals.com
A cheap rental car in Guadeloupe will help you get around to visit all the sights, attractions and beaches. To find the best deal on your hire, use Airport Rentals to compare rates and benefits on available vehicles with one quick and easy search.
Begin your selection process by entering your desired location and travel dates into the search function to generate a complete list of available vehicles. You can sort by daily cost, and edit your filters if you’re after a specific brand or vehicle type. The layout makes it easy to compare multiple options from various companies on the same page.
Get in touch via our 24/7 phone or email assistance if you have any queries about your rental, or go ahead and book securely online as soon as you’ve made your decision. You won’t pay any extra fees and you can modify your booking at any time using the online reservation management system.
Top car rental locations in Guadeloupe
It’s likely that when you hire a car in Guadeloupe, you’ll pick it up on either Grande-Terre or Basse-Terre. These two islands are connected by bridge so you can easily access them both and explore a large amount of the country without having to ferry or fly across.
The largest city between these two islands is Les Abymes, with Pointe a Pitre Airport nearby. You can pick up your rental here as soon as you arrive, or there are also a few options for car rental in Pointe a Pitre if you’re looking to start your journey closer to town.
Other major towns include Baie-Mahault and Le Gosier, which are both located in the centre of the ‘butterfly’ shape that is Guadeloupe, making them good base locations from which to explore the islands.
For something a little different, you can pick up a rental in cities and towns further out on the islands, such as at Baillif on the western coast, Deshaies to the north-west, or Saint-Francois to the east. There are also a handful of car rental options on the smaller island of Marie-Galante if you’re looking to visit the ‘Big Pancake’.
Top car rental brands in Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe offers plenty of excellent car hire companies throughout its islands. You’ll find a range of lesser known and well known brands to choose from.
● Flizzr - a German company that promises brand-new vehicles for great prices.
● Alamo - a US brand that focuses on low rates and hassle-free service.
● Hertz - a major American company that offers locations all over the world.
● Budget - an LA-based brand that promises value and quality.
● Thrifty - a US-owned brand that works to supply the best rates on the market.
● Keddy - a low-rate service aimed at travel agents and other intermediaries.
● Sixt - a European brand focused on premium rentals in more than 4,000 locations.
● Europcar - a French company that promises eco-friendly vehicle rentals.
● Avis - an American brand that creates a stress-free rental experience.
Road rules in Guadeloupe
The minimum age for driving in Guadeloupe is 18, although most rental companies will require the driver to be 25 years or older.
● Like France, you’ll be driving on the right-hand side of the road.
● Children aged 12 and under are not permitted to sit in the front seat.
● You are not allowed to cross solid white lines.
● You are not permitted to use mobile phones while driving (except for hands-free devices).
● Seat belts are mandatory.
● The maximum blood alcohol level permitted is 0.05 per cent.
Tips for driving your rental car in Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe offers a few unique challenges, so be sure to follow these tips when driving around the islands:
● Avoid parking under palm trees as coconuts can fall and damage the car.
● Aim to avoid driving at night as roads are poorly lit.
● Allow for extra time to reach your destination as many roads are mountainous and windy.
● Carry cash for smaller petrol stations as they don’t all accept credit cards.
● Be prepared to pay fees at toll roads, especially near the ocean.
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!