You don’t have to be a history buff to know that Greece has a rich heritage. This is the cradle of western democracy, and the birthplace of some of humanity’s most important concepts and philosophies. It’s not as though this is the only reason to head to Greece though. The land itself is spectacular, from the craggy mountains to the sun-soaked islands, the culture is warm and welcoming, and the food is to die for.
When you rent a car in Greece, you have the freedom to experience this multifaceted nation at your own pace and in your own way, picking and choosing the attractions that appeal most to you. Tours are all very well, but for those who want to forge their own way picking up a car hire in Greece is your ticket to an amazing holiday.
AirportRentals.com - the smart and easy way to book a car hire in Greece
Once you touch down in the the country, picking up a car rental for trip in Greece will be one of the first things you do. The most stress-free way to do this is to book online, and instead of hunting through all sorts of car rental websites attempting to find a decent deal, you can see all the best offers in one place on AirportRentals.com.
It’s very easy to get hold of the ideal car rental in Greece. Just enter a few details like where/when you plan to pick up/drop off the vehicle into the AirportRentals.com search box and you’re away. You can then scroll through a bunch of deals from different suppliers, and even filter them down by categories like vehicle type, transmission type, etc. Once you’ve picked out the perfect deal, the booking side of things will only take a few more minutes to complete.
Airport rentals around Greece
Greece has many different faces, so choosing the right place to start your journey is pretty important - this all comes down to what you want out of your time here. Fortunately, it’s easy to get hold of a car rental in all the major destinations so striking out on your own to explore beyond your initial surroundings is definitely on the cards.
● Athens car rental - This is an ancient place, with almost three and a half thousand years of recorded history behind it. Today, Athens exhibits a fascinating blend of antiquity and cutting edge cosmopolitan appeal. Whether you’re here to see the historic centre which serves as one of the world’s most impressive open air museums, or simply spend some time wining, dining and shopping before heading onwards on the next leg of your journey, this is an amazing city to visit.
● Chania car rental - This is one of the most attractive destinations both on the island of Crete and in Greece in general. Byzantines, Arabs, Venetians and Ottomans have all called Chania home which has made this a fascinating place to explore. Summer sees massive crowds, so it’s worth considering a winter visit to really appreciate Chania.
● Heraklion car rental - Heraklion is the bustling capital of Crete, a brilliant place to delve into the history of the long lost Minoan civilisation. The Heraklion Archaeological Museum has numerous ancient remnants and relics on display, while the nearby palace of Knossos is one of the most impressive Bronze Age ruins in the world.
● Thessaloniki car rental - Greece’s second largest city buzzes with life, and is a prime destination for those who want a taste of the country’s contemporary culture. If you can line up your trip with one of the city’s many festivals, that’s all for the better but this is a top destination all year round. Thessaloniki also serves as a gateway to explore multifaceted northern Greece.
● Rhodes car rental - The island of Rhodes once hosted the Colossus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world - today its attractions are just as enticing, with clear blue waters, buzzing nightlife and all sorts of historic remnants of ages past.
● Kefalonia car rental - The largest of the Ionian islands, Kefalonia boasts charming villages, a whole slew of gorgeous beaches and a number of medieval castles and monasteries. If you’re hunting for a laid back vacation, this is a great place to come - even in the busy season, the size of the island ensures that it never gets excessively crowded.
● Lesvos car rental - This the perfect place to visit if you’re looking to immerse yourself in the rugged natural beauty of Greece. Hiking and/or cycling should definitely be on the cards for visitors to this scenic island - and when you’ve worked up a bit of a thirst, why not sample the famed Lesvos ouzo?
Car rental suppliers in Greece
There are quite a number of suppliers with which you can book a cheap car rental in Greece. The wide variety of brands you can find through AirportRentals.com means you can go with some of the biggest international names in car rental like Hertz, Avis and Europcar or hunt out bargains with smaller companies like SurPrice, Green Motion or Goldcar.
Greece road rules
In line with the rest of continental Europe, you’ll be driving on the right hand side of the road in Greece. If you’re used to driving on the left, remember to be especially careful around intersections and you should do just fine. The legal blood alcohol limit is a slim 0.025% which leaves very little room for error. Even one drink could easily put you over the limit so it’s not worth risking getting behind the wheel if you’ve had any alcohol at all. Default speed limits are similar to many others around the world: 50 km/h in built up areas, 110 km/h on the open road and 120 km/h on motorways. Don’t forget to look out for speed limit signs of course, as these are only the default limits. Always keep your driver’s licence and all your rental documents with you when you drive.
Greece driving tips
● Defensive driving is very helpful when navigating the roads of Greece, as local drivers may have a more liberal interpretation of the road rules than you’re used to.
● Keep your arms inside the vehicle, as motorcycles tend to weave in and out of traffic and can come very close to you.
● Some of the longer motorways that cut across the country are toll roads - the tolls are generally paid in cash, so make sure you have a good supply of change if you’re planning on a long haul trip.
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!