Ecuador is a stunning South American country on the Pacific side of the continent, with Peru to its south and Colombia to its north. Hire a cheap rental car to experience this unique Spanish-speaking nation in all its glory.
Ecuador has one foot on either side of the equator, making it one of the few places in the world where you can drive from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere and vice versa. From big cities to ancient ruins, there is an endless list of ‘must-dos’ throughout Ecuador.
Quito, the capital, is an obvious place to start, as the entire city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Galapagos Islands are a top attraction, and their famous sea tortoises are an especially worthy sight as they were the original species that inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution. Stop by the Cuicocha Lake in the caldera of the Cotacachi Volcano of the Andes, relax on the hippie beach of Montanita, and take a challenging hike up the Cotopaxi Volcano.
You’ve got a lot of ground to cover, but a car rental in Ecuador will make it that much easier to see and do it all.
Find a cheap Ecuador car hire with AirportRentals.com
The only way to know if you’re getting the best deal on a car rental in Ecuador is to find and compare all of the available options. Airport Rentals makes it easy to do just that.
Airport Rentals is a deal comparison site where you can simply enter your desired destination and travel dates to generate a complete list of available vehicles from leading car rental companies.
You’ll be able to sort by price to find the best deal on a set of wheels, or you can toggle the filter options to narrow down your results by type of car, size, transmission and rental brand.
Should you have any questions about finding the right rental, get in touch with our 24/7 phone and online assistance. Otherwise, you can go ahead and book your Ecuador car hire securely online to receive instant confirmation.
Top car rental locations in Ecuador
There are several car rental pick up locations dotted around Ecuador. Choose a location that best complements your travel plans.
If you fly into the capital city of Quito, you will start your trip in the northern section of Ecuador, with access to many of the other hot spots throughout the country. You can pick up a rental straight away at Quito Airport, or reserve a car for pick up in Quito itself.
Alternatively, you can begin your trip on the coast by organising your rental for Guayaquil Airport or in Guayaquil. You also have this option in Manta, Manta Airport and Esmeraldas, cities a bit further north on the coast.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to make your visit a round trip - you can opt to pick up your rental and drop it off in another city or airport on your way out. Most rental companies will charge extra for this option, but it can take the hassle out of your visit. Simply uncheck the ‘return to the same location’ box when making your booking on Airport Rentals.
Car rental suppliers in Ecuador
Ecuador offers three major car rental brands around the country; Budget, Hertz, and Avis.
● Avis is a brand dedicated to top-quality customer service and building brand loyalty.
● Budget is all about offering the best value and lowest prices on car rentals in Ecuador.
● Hertz is an American company that works to supply cars in locations all over the world.
If you already know which company you prefer, you can view cars from that brand by selecting it as a filter when you run your search.
Ecuador road rules
● Stay to the right-hand side of the road.
● Most speed limits in urban centres are 50km/hr hour, while rural areas allow for 100km/hr on straight roads. Do keep in mind that the limits are strictly enforced so do not be tempted to speed.
● The rules around stop (PARE) signs are strict, and you may face fines if you roll through them.
● Keep an eye out for double yellow lines, as this indicates you are not permitted to pass.
Tips for driving your car hire in Ecuador
Ecuador offers quite a unique driving experience, so prepare as much as possible before you arrive and don’t forget to ask at the car rental desk about tips specific to your destination.
● Fill up on petrol before 8pm as this is when many stations close.
● Avoid driving after dark if possible.
● Be wary of stray dogs wandering on the roads.
● Check for cars before going through a green light (as locals may blow through red lights).
● Keep an eye out for cyclists as cycle lanes are rare.
● Rent a GPS with your vehicle to help navigate the road system.
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!