South Africa is a country of contrasts. Depending on where you choose to direct your journey, you may encounter lush wine country, wild beaches and craggy cliffs, or expansive scrublands inhabited by some of the most magnificent creatures on Earth. The country has its share of beautiful cities as well, with Cape Town standing out as one of the most visually striking and culturally rich. This means that when you pick up a cheap South Africa airport car rental, your road trip can take many different forms, giving you the freedom to find the kind of experience you’re really searching for.
Many people think of safaris when South Africa is mentioned, and it’s true that there are some excellent opportunities to spot big game animals here. Kruger National Park is known worldwide for its unparalleled wildlife spotting opportunities, with the chance to spot lions, leopards, rhinos and elephants. There’s more to this country than just Kruger though. The Garden Route offers road trippers stunning coastal scenery, prime golfing opportunities and eco-adventures like treetop canopy zip lining.
AirportRentals.com - the smart way to rent a car in South Africa
When you’re hunting for car rental options in South Africa, your first port of call should be AirportRentals.com. Instead of trawling through site after site trying to compare different deals, AirportRentals.com allows you to see what a wide range of South Africa car rental suppliers are offering, all in one place. Making an informed decision about the best car hire choice is a cinch when all the options are laid out neatly in front of you.
To find the ideal car rental for your South Africa trip, all you have to do is specify a few basic details about your upcoming trip, like where your journey begins, where you plan to end up and the dates that you need a car rental for. After that, it’s mainly a matter of selecting the vehicle that best suits your needs and budget.
Airport rentals around South Africa
No matter where your journey is taking you, it’s easy to find somewhere nearby to pick up your South Africa rental car thanks to AirportRentals.com. Below you’ll find a handful of the locations that you could pick up your car hire from in South Africa.
● Cape Town car rental - One of South Africa’s most attractive cities, Cape Town not only boasts fascinating architecture, diverse cultural influences and a strikingly unique geological setting, but it’s also the key to exploring the natural wonders of the Western Cape.
● Durban car rental - This coastal city is a prime destination for sunseekers, surfers and watersports enthusiasts. The Golden Mile draws tourists from far and wide, while those seeking the serenity of nature can head to Burman Bush, just 8 kilometres north of Durban’s CBD.
● Johannesburg car rental - Although Jo-burg isn’t a traditional tourist destination, it still offers the chance for visitors to explore a number of historic and natural attractions. Mandela House, a museum located in the former home of Nelson Mandela, gives tourists a unique look at this central anti-apartheid figure, while driving 40 minutes to the Krugersdrop Nature Reserve in your South Africa car hire will treat you to a safari experience without the inconvenience of travelling to a major reserve.
● Port Elizabeth car rental - Set just beyond the eastern end of the Garden Route, Port Elizabeth provides an ideal midpoint for adventures along the gorgeous coastal Garden Route to the west or the exploration of Eastern Cape game reserves to the east. The choice is yours.
● George car rental - Right in the midst of South Africa’s Garden Route is the town of George. There’s no better way to jump right into this classic coastal road trip than with a George car rental - it will also give you the freedom to head up to the ostrich farms of Oudtshoorn or discover the ancient glories of the Cango Caves.
South Africa road rules
South Africa has great roading infrastructure and clement weather so driving here in a car hire is generally an absolute joy. However, it will pay to brush up on the basics of South Africa’s road rules and regulations to ensure you have a safe trip. Americans and Brits should note that all speed limits are listed in kilometres per hour - distances are measured in kilometres as well. Toll roads are common in South Africa, especially between major cities so make sure you have cash or a credit card on hand to pay. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is illegal, with a legal blood alcohol limit of under 0.5 grams per 100 ml. Perhaps the biggest difference for most visitors will be the fact that everyone in South Africa drives on the left hand side of the road. On the open road this won’t present many problems, just be extra cautious at intersections and you should be fine.
South Africa driving tips
Here’s a few quick tips for having a safe and enjoyable time on the road in South Africa:
● You are permitted to drive with a foreign driver’s licence in South Africa, as long as it’s in English and has your photo and signature on it but some rental companies may require an international driver’s licence, so make sure to check with your supplier ahead of time.
● In rural areas, keep an eye out for domestic animals on the road - in some areas (generally signposted with a leaping antelope), large antelopes crossing the road can be a hazard - keep an eye out for them especially at dusk or nighttime.
● It’s safest to drive with windows up and doors locked, particularly in cities.
● Gauteng, the province that includes Pretoria and Johannesburg, has e-toll roads - visitors can register for an e-toll account or simply buy a day pass.
● Don’t pick up hitchhikers - if you think someone needs help, let the police know in the next town.
Airportrentals.com offers the best car rental rates, guaranteed