For an off-the-beaten-path holiday in Europe, visit the historic cities and beautiful countryside of Romania. Hire an affordable rental car to see the best of the country at your own pace.
Cruise through the Carpathian Mountains, visit medieval towns and tour Bucharest for its museums, Palace of the Parliament and enticing nightlife. If you are a Dracula fan, head to Bran Castle, a hilltop fortress, for a spooky museum tour.
Outdoor enthusiasts love hiking around Transylvania and Moldavia where trails wind through woods, meadows and picturesque villages. In the summertime head to the Black Sea coast for relaxing days at the beach, followed by all-night partying. Visit the Danube Delta for a chance to see the country’s flora and fauna. Hiring a rental car makes it easy to check off all the top spots.
Book an affordable Romania car hire with Airport Rentals
Use Airport Rentals for all of your Romania car hire needs. Our top-rated site allows you to compare dozens of vehicles from numerous suppliers on one neatly-organised page. Simply type in your starting location and travel dates, and click ‘search’ to generate a list of available cars with the cheapest at the top. Scroll through the inventory or use the handy filters to search by preferences such as transmission type, car supplier and car type.
You can hire a mini or economy car to save on petrol, or opt for a luxury vehicle for the trip of a lifetime. Once you find the ideal vehicle to suit your holiday, complete your booking on our secure site in just a few clicks. Enjoy free benefits and never worry about hidden fees when you book with Airport Rentals. Need a hand? Reach out to our 24/7 customer service team.
Airport rentals around Romania
A Romanian road trip can be organised in multiple ways. Check out the many locations where you can rent a car and start your journey.
Bucharest car rental - Explore the capital city with an airport rental car from Otopeni or Baneasa Airport. Visit the iconic government building and multiple museums before heading out to explore the rest of Romania.
Cluj-Napoca car rental - Cruise to Cluj-Napoca to experience Romania’s top tourist attraction - Transylvania. Visit dramatic, Gothic-style buildings, churches and more, then hop in your car hire to explore more of this stunning region.
Sibiu car rental - Sibiu is another city in Transylvania. Step back in time as you climb medieval towers and tour historic sites in the old town dating back to the 12th century.
Finding a rental car supplier with Airport Rentals
With Airport Rentals, you can choose from up to 14 car hire providers for your holiday in Romania. Grab super cheap daily rates from budget rental suppliers such as Economy Car Rentals and Sur Price, or hire with a local company such as GlobalDrive Romania. International brands are also heavily represented - you can rent with Avis, Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty and more.
Driving laws in Romania
The age requirement to rent a car is generally 25 years old. Some rental car providers have a minimum rental age of 21 years old with at least one year of driving experience, but may charge a young driver fee. Romania has a maximum rental age of 70 years old.
● Drive on the right side of the road, overtake on the left.
● Seatbelts must be worn by all passengers.
● Speed limits are as follows: 50 km/hr in cities and towns, 90 km/hr on country roads and 130 km/hr on highways.
● There is a zero-tolerance policy on drinking and driving in Romania.
● Third party insurance must be purchased with your rental car.
● Always carry a road kit including a warning triangle, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and reflective jacket in case of a breakdown.
Tips for driving a Romanian rental car
Locals are known to drive aggressively. Stick to the rules of the road and drive defensively.
● Be prepared to share the road with horse-drawn carriages, cyclists and pedestrians, especially in urban areas.
● Urban petrol stations are typically open from 6am to 9pm, while main highways and tourists areas have 24-hour stations.
● Horn use is prohibited in towns between 10pm and 6am, so instead use your lights to give warning if necessary.
● Avoid driving at night when possible, as roads are not well lit and loitering livestock pose a danger.
● Always lock your car doors and never leave valuables in the vehicle.
● If you plan on driving long distances, add a second driver to the rental to share the drive.
● Visiting in winter? Be sure to check out our winter driving guide.
Love scenic road trips? Check out our favourite spots in Europe, perfect for cruising in a rental car.
Airportrentals.com offers great deals all over the world. Compare and save!