- Daily Charge The charge for the vehicle per day that you will hire less the deposit you may have paid. The charge also includes GST (Goods and Service Tax at 15%); insurance, up to 5,000 km's per hire (New Zealand top to bottom is around 2,043 km), 24 hour support, locks (if applicable), NZ road maps, accommodation guides and tourist information brochures. The total charge for the period of rental is paid at the commencement of the hire, less the 20% deposit taken when you book. No refund or consideration will be given for any unused portion of the booked hire.
- Bond You will be asked to sign a separate security BOND in the form of a credit card imprint or a deposit. The bond is held by us BUT NOT BANKED. This is our guarantee that you will return our vehicle on time and in the condition that it was hired. The fuel tank at the same level as the start of the hire. The bond amount is based on the vehicle insurance excess and is detailed below in the paragraph applicable to the type of vehicle you hire.
- CDW An optional collision damage waiver (CDW) charge is the way a hirer can reduce the insurance excess. This is charged daily and is at a rate applicable to the type of vehicle you hire as outlined below.
DepositTo secure your vehicle, a deposit of 20% of the total hire charge is required with the balance payable (i.e. full payment) prior to commencement of hire. We accept all major credit cards.
Cancellation FeeCancellation fees are as follows:
- If cancelled more than 21 days prior to vehicle pick up - Full refund less NZ$150
- If cancelled between 7 - 21 days prior to vehicle pick up - Full refund less deposit (or $150 whichever is greater)
- If cancelled within 7 days prior to vehicle pickup - 50% total rental fee (or $150 whichever is greater)
- No show, failure to pickup or supply a valid credit card under the name of the hirer or failure to supply a Bond in the form of a signed credit card imprint or giving less than 72 hours notice of the intention to cancel in writing, 100% of the total rental fee.
Rental DurationThe rental period commences from the time of pickup. Minimum rental period on all vehicles is 3 days. Vehicles are available from 08:00 to 17:00 7 days unless otherwise agreed. Charges are calculated on 24 hour basis.
One Way HiresMinimum hire days apply. Repositioning fees may apply dependent on hire term:
- Auckland to Christchurch $150
- Christchurch to Auckland $100
Child and Baby SeatsChild seats are compulsory on New Zealand roads for children under 5 years of age. These may be hired from us. Please order at time of reservation stating age of child so correct size may be booked.
All child seats are subject to availability. It is the clients responsibility to check child seat fitting DriveNZ Rental Vehicles Limited accepts no responsibility what so ever for child seats that are incorrectly fitted.
TransferWe offer a complimentary transfer service from Auckland or Christchurch Airports, hotels or motels to our depot within business hours 08:00 to 17:00 7 days.
Repairs / BreakdownsAll vehicles are fully maintained and serviced. Should it be necessary for you to effect minor repairs costing less than $100 then you may do so without authorisation. Please keep and present your receipt for a full refund.
Amounts in excess of $100 require authorisation. No responsibility will be accepted for any accommodation, meals or other expenses resulting from a breakdown or accident.
Any problems with the vehicle or equipment failure must be reported as soon as practicable to afford us the opportunity to rectify the problem during the term of hire. No liability will be accepted for any notifications received after the termination of the rental agreement In case of breakdown ph. 0800 474 777 for nationwide service.
Travel Between the North and South IslandsTravel with a vehicle between the North and South Islands of New Zealand requires a trip on the inter island ferry. Over the summer months of December to March the ferry's are full so it pays to book early to avoid any disappointment or delay especially if traveling with a vehicle.
Additional EquipmentAdditional equipment may be hired at the following rates: -
- Sleeping bags - NZ $25 each
- Picnic Table - NZ $25 per hire
- 2 Picnic Chairs - NZ $25 per hire
- Booster Seat- NZ $25 per hire
- Baby Seat - NZ $25 per hire
- Chains - NZ $25 per hire
Duration of HireThe term of hire shall commence and cease at the time and dates specified in the schedule. (Note: Vehicle charges are on a 24-hour basis). First hour is free; Vehicles returned within one hour of the time of return will not be charged; after the first hour late a full day hire applies. The owner must authorise any rental extension beyond that specified in the rental agreement prior to the return of the vehicle. The owner reserves the right to charge a penalty fee of NZ$500 plus the daily rental rate for anyone in breach of this.
Persons who may Drive the VehicleThe vehicle may be driven during the full period of the hire only by the persons named on, and who have signed the agreement for hire, and only if they hold a current full driver’s licence. (Note: only persons 18 years and over may be hirers and authorised drivers).
Payment by Hirer
- The hirer shall pay the owner in full prior to hire (as payment for the hire of the vehicle for the agreed period) the sum specified in the Agreement. The hirer must have a credit card. The hirer agrees to pay any additional costs in connection with the hire including (but not limited to) parking and speed camera fines, puncture repair and relocation and cleaning fees as incurred in connection with the hirer's possession of the vehicle, including those which become apparent following termination of the hire. The hirer authorises the owner to debit his charge card for the same.
- In addition to the payment specified in clause 'a' the hirer shall pay to the owner the sums specified in the Schedule for Insurance Cover as set out in this agreement.
- The hirer shall pay for all petrol or diesel (but not oil) used in the vehicle during the period of the hire.
- The hirer will be responsible for the entire cost of the hire should the voucher they present not be paid by the agent. The total payment will be charged to the client's credit card should payment from the agent not be received.
- The following credit cards will be accepted: Visa & Mastercard for payment and security bond purposes.
Hirer's ObligationsThe hirer shall ensure that all responsible care is taken in handling and parking the vehicle and that it is left securely locked when not in use. (Note: This clause requires all responsible care to be taken for the vehicle. Animals are not permitted in the vehicle at any time).
- A bond is required for all hires. You will be asked to sign a separate security bond in the form of a credit card imprint. By providing this bond (signed credit card imprint) you acknowledge that there is sufficient funds on the credit card offered for the bond to cover the insurance excess. This bond is held by the owner and is NOT banked; it is our guarantee that the hirer will return the vehicle on time and in the condition that it was hired in.
- The owner reserves the right to bank the bond excess for a period of up to 3 months after the termination of the hire agreement to cover the cost of un-notified parking or speeding infringements or damage to third parties or their property.
- Where the third party causes damage, the hirer is liable for damages as specified in their rental agreement. As insurance is not compulsory in New Zealand there is no guarantee that these damages will be recovered, therefore the bond may be banked and not refunded.
- Where the car has been returned during or outside office hours and the vehicle has undiscovered damage to the windscreen or body of the car not covered by insurance, the client will be charged and sent an email summarizing the cost of repairs.
- A bond shall be taken for each accident. In the event of a replacement vehicle being dispatched, the bond/ insurance excess will be twice that of the original vehicle.
- The bond will be taken to pay for any costs associated with returning the vehicle to the condition it was in at the commencement of hire regardless of whether it was the hirers fault or not.
Additional Hire Costs
- First driver free, additional drivers are NZ$2 each per day.
- A fee of NZ$40 applies for vehicles dropped off at Auckland or Christchurch Airports regardless of the duration.
- A processing fee of NZ$30 (per fine) will be charged for any unpaid parking and speeding fines incurred during the rental period. This is regardless of whether knowledge of these is known.
- Up to 5000 Kilometers per hire (New Zealand top to bottom is around 2043km's); there after a charge of 20c per kilometer will apply.
- A $50 cleaning charge for any vehicle returned excessively dirty inside or out, in the sole opinion of the owner.
- The owner shall deliver the vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition.
- The owner shall be responsible for all ordinary and extraordinary costs of running the vehicle during the term of hire except that by the terms of this agreement those costs are payable by the hirer. (Note: the hirer shall as soon as practicable in any event within 24 hours notify the owner of any complaints, defects or failure of the vehicle, or claims against the owner or its agents. If the hirer fails to do so the hirer may be deemed to have waived the same and the company will not be liable for any claims resulting there from).
- Any mechanical or towing expenses required for the vehicle must be authorised by the owner prior to the repairs or towing taking place. Failure to authorise these expenses may result in the hirer being held liable for the costs.
Mechanical Repairs and Accidents
- Any problems associated with the vehicle including equipment failure must be reported to the owner as soon as possible within 24 hours in order to give the owner the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental period. We do not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
- All vehicles are registered with the Automobile Association (AA) for 24hr roadside assistance. This service covers any mechanical faults with the vehicle. Please note that the AA does not cover the following and the associated costs will be the responsibility of the hirer;
- The vehicle running out of fuel
- Keys being locked inside the vehicle or lost
- Flat batteries as a result of the lights or keys being left on
- A breakdown as a result of damage caused in an accident
- PHONE AA TOLL-FREE 0800 224 357 (0800 AA HELP) OR FROM MOBILE *222
- The hirer shall ensure that no persons shall interfere with the distance recorder or speedometer, or except in an emergency any part of the engine, transmission, braking or suspension system of the vehicle.
- All AA non-mechanical call-outs will incur a call-out charge of NZ$85.
- The AA service operates 24hrs, however for mechanical repairs outside office hours (including weekends), some delays may occur. The owner will always endeavour to have the car repaired in the shortest time possible.
- The availability of an Exchange Vehicle is not guaranteed; provision is subject to availability, client location, accident liability and remaining hire duration. Hirer charges may be incurred (see below)
If an Exchange Vehicle is required as a result of an accident whether their fault or not, the hirer is responsible for making their own way to the nearest DNZ branch or pickup location
DNZ may offer the hirer the option of paying an - Exchange Vehicle Relocation Fee to send a driver to deliver the Exchange Vehicle to the hirer's location. The hirer will pay for any costs relating to delivery of a change-over vehicle as a result of any single vehicle accident. This charge applies irrespective of any excess reduction taken.
- The hirer is responsible for keys which have been locked in the car and for changing tyres.
- No replacement vehicle will be provided without receipt of a completed insurance claim form where one is required.
- In the event of an accident occurring and an Exchange Vehicle is not available, DNZ will not be liable for any resulting accommodation or living expenses that are in incurred.
Use of the VehicleThe hirer shall not use or permit to use the vehicle to be used for the carriage of passengers for hire or reward, unless the vehicle is hired with the knowledge of the owner for use in a passenger service licensed under Part 1 of The Transport Services Licensing Act 1989.
The Hirer shall not
- Sublet or hire the vehicle to any other person.
- Permit the vehicle to be operated outside his or her authority.
- Operate the vehicle, or permit it to be operated in any race, speed test, rally or contest.
- Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated in breach of the Transport Act 1962, the Traffic Regulations 1976 or any other Act, regulations or by laws relating to road traffic.
- Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated for the transport of more than the number of passengers or more than the weight of passengers or more than the weight of goods specified in the certificate of loading for the vehicle.
- Drive or permit the vehicle to be driven by any other persons if at the time of his driving the vehicle the hirer or any other person is not the holder of a current driver's licence appropriate for the vehicle.
Return of the VehicleThe hirer shall at or before the expiry of the term of hire, deliver the vehicle to the branch detailed in the Agreement, or obtain the owner's consent to the continuation of the hire. (Note: No refund is available to the hirer if the vehicle is returned earlier than stated in the Agreement).
The vehicle is to be returned in a clean and tidy condition. The vehicle is to be returned with the petrol level equal to that when they hired the vehicle, if it is not filled to the same level then a NZ$20 administration fee will apply in addition to the cost of the fuel. If not returned to the branch detailed, a relocation fee of NZ$500 may be charged.
Breach of ContractThe owner shall have the right to terminate the hire and take immediate possession of the vehicle if the hirer fails to comply with any Terms and Conditions of this agreement or if the vehicle is damaged. The termination of the hire under the authority of this clause shall be without prejudice to the other rights of the owner and the rights of the hirer under this agreement or otherwise. This agreement is subject to the laws of New Zealand.
Exchange Rate / Currency FluctuationsAll transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations, there could be some variance between the amount initially debited against your credit card and the amount refunded at the expiration of the rental period. The owner is not liable for such variations. The owner is also not responsible for bank transfer charges, the charge of the hire is the charge payable excluding bank transfer charges.
We reserve the right to refuse any rental at our discretion. (Conditions and charges may change from time to time).
Terms of booking on this website
The rates on this website are often heavily discounted. This is due to our negotiated rates and bulk buying power. On very rare occasions, a rate may be displayed incorrectly due to our, or a vehicle supplier's error. In such a case, if you book with us at a quoted rate that is incorrect, we will notify you of any price change and give you the option to proceed or cancel. We make every effort to keep information on our site up to date, but we cannot guarantee this website is free of errors or omissions and retain the right to update or change the information published at any time.
To the extent permitted by law we/the owners of this website will not be liable to you or to any third party (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage (including but not limited to any accident, injury, delay or loss of enjoyment) arising out of your reliance upon information contained on this website, including but not limited to your use (or inability to use) any products or services described or procured through this website.
When you pick up your vehicle, you will be required to sign a rental agreement with the supplier of the vehicle. Your rental and use of the vehicle will be governed by the terms of the rental agreement and any other documentation or information provided to you by the supplier at the time you pick up your vehicle. The rental agreement is between you and the supplier and we will not be liable to you or to any third party in relation to the terms of the supplier's rental agreement or any other documentation provided to you by the supplier at the time of pick up.
While we will make reasonable efforts to ensure we are representing only reputable suppliers, we make no warranty about the fitness or suitability of any third party (supplier) product or service and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness of any vehicle. We welcome feedback from our customers on their experience with our suppliers. We may, at our discretion, provide you with reasonable assistance in resolving any dispute you may have with a supplier.
Our total liability to you in relation to your use of this website and the information contained on this website will not exceed the dollar amount of the deposit we have received from you in relation to your booking/rental. Refunds will not be made for bookings cancelled due to inclement weather. Again, we strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance. Your use of this website is governed by the laws of New Zealand and the jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts.
To make a booking you must complete our booking form which is easy to follow and secured with the latest encryption technology. Once we receive your form, we will, subject to availability, confirm your booking by emailing you a confirmation voucher and invoice.
If you are booking via phone, please make sure you have read the terms and conditions of the vehicle you wish to rent first. Our reservations consultant will ask you if you have read the terms and agree to them before proceeding. The onus is always on the renter to ensure they make themselves fully aware of the terms displayed on our website.
In booking on this website you acknowledge that we disclose your information to your selected Supplier in order to provide the requested rental services.
Vehicle capacity and fitness to drive
Under no circumstances are you permitted to carry more passengers than the vehicle you rent is legally registered to carry, and if you do your insurance may be invalidated. The number of seatbelts (and passengers) is indicated next to each vehicle on this website. Luggage capacity where shown is an indication only and we will not be responsible should you be unable to fit your entire luggage into a vehicle. It is your responsibility to choose a journey that is within your capabilities. A vehicle supplier can refuse to rent a vehicle to any person who is in their opinion unfit to drive or does not meet eligibility requirements. In such circumstances we will have no further liability to you.
In the event of cancellation, any deposit amounts paid at the time of booking are non-refundable.
If you are unsatisfied with our service, please contact us within 48 hours of placing your booking or request and we will work to resolve any issues and determine if compensation is due. In the event you have completed your rental and are unhappy with your vehicle, we are happy to assist you in seeking compensation from the operator of the vehicle.
This website is owned and operated by Online Republic Ltd. Our financial centre and marketing office is based at Level 4 Excelsior House, 6 Commerce St , Auckland, New Zealand. In Australia, we are based at Suite 3.01, 11 Queens Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004. Thank you for booking with us.
Airportrentals.com offers the best car rental rates, guaranteed