- The Dartford Crossing spans the River Thames in Essex. It has electronic payments, but one-time users can make a payment online with their license plate number at www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk.
- The Severn River Crossing joins England to Southeast Wales. Payment can be made in cash, credit or debit card, and there are tags for frequent users.
- The Tyne Tunnels take drivers underneath the River Tyne near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and cash payments can be made for those who do not have a prepaid permit.
- The Mersey Tunnels in central Liverpool cross underneath the River Mersey. Tolls can be paid by cash or card, or with a Fast Tag for regular users.
- Finland, Luxembourg, Iceland, Monaco, Ukraine, Andorra, Estonia and a few other small countries have no or very, very few toll roads. Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Sweden, Albania and a few more have tolls only on the occasional bridge or tunnel.
- Italy is heavily tolled - most Autostrade (motorways or freeways) will incur charges, although they are not too expensive. The toll price is proportional to distance travelled, so drivers take a ticket when entering a motorway which is then used to calculate the toll when leaving the network. Locals use a Telepass system for cashless travel.
- Many toll roads around Europe will offer cash payment for those visiting. However, Norway’s networks are all cashless. If you do not have and AutoPass, you can look up a numberplate to pay outstanding charges.
- Vignettes are road user stickers which are required for travel on motorways in some countries. They are an alternative to tolls, and payment is based on a period of time rather than distance travelled. You will need to purchase a vignette for travel to and around Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland. Some use electronic vignettes, others paper stickers on the windscreen. They can generally be obtained at border crossings, gas stations and other outlets.
So, be prepared for your travels - whether you will need cash, vignettes, or to get online and pay outstanding charges. We recommend more in-depth research once you have decided on a route - and if you need more information about driving in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, check out our UK Driving Guide. Happy travels!